Subject: Re: [Leica] V35 autofocus help
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:12:15 -0400

>At 07:17 PM 4/25/98 +0200, you wrote:
>>Hi fellow LUGgers,
>>
>>I recently bought a Leitz V35 Focomat enlarger but there was no
>>instructions manual included with it.  Could one of you offer me some
>>hints on how to adjust/set the autofocus correctly on the V35?  I
>>guess the height of the thing must be aligned with the height of the
>>easel or something like that...
>>
>>-- Arne

Arne,

My Focomat was adjusted perfectly when I got it so I never had to readjust.
 Here are the directions from the manual:

To ensure correction function of the Autofocus device of the Leica V35, the
instrument must be raised according to the height of the masking frame
used: release the clamping screw for the column.  Raise the instrument with
the crank to the level of the masking frame used.  Leica 24x30 cm masking
frame (code No. 17 584)25mm, Leica 30x40 cm masking frame (Code No. 17
586)30mm, Leica 12x16 inch masking frame (Code No. 17 630) 1.18 inch=30mm.
(By masking frame they mean the size print you are going to make) Tighten
clamping screw.
Insert test strip in negative holder.  Adjust height of column accordingly.
 Move lamp housing into its topmost position. Produce optimum sharpness for
the centre of the picture by rotating the helical focusing mount of the
lens.  If the helical focusing mount is not in the click-stop posiition,
release the arresting screw.  Hold the lens in position with one hand, at
the same time turn the knurled ring into the click-stop position.  Tighten
arresting screw, carry out a final check of the setting.  The click stop
position of the ring automatically guarantees optimum sharpness withing the
entire focusing range.

I hope this helps!!  It's all a lot easier than it sounds.  This is the
easiest to use enlarger I've ever had.  Good luck - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>