Subject: Re: [Leica] Passport
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:11:18 -0700

You don't have to send in the passport card. The dealer where you bought
the camera informs Leica NJ of the purchase. Some people keep every scrap
of paper and wrapping material so that should they wish to sell the
equipment at some point in the future, it will usually command a higher
price if the COMPLETE kit is there. Box, books, and all papers. The new
owner will not send in the passport card to "illegally" get an additional
three year warranty. It will do no good if they do as the original purchase
was logged in Leica's computer. These "box, books, and all papers"
transactions are simply a way to say "I've cared for this camera and I
cared enough to keep all appropriate material, therefore I want top dollar"
and many many people pay the extra for the works.

When I personally buy a new piece of equipment, I keep everything. Later,
when I sell that equipment, I sell it with everything that I got with it.
What I've found is that it always sells more quickly when I offer
everything. I don't ask for extra money, but it does put it at the top of
the list for getting sold. I happen to have a place to keep that stuff,
that is out of the way. So why not? It doesn't take any more effort to keep
it, than it takes to throw it away. Probably less.

Jim