Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing for dummies
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:42:31 -0500

At 12:15 PM 4/26/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I use both TMAX and Ilford Delta, both typicially 100 ASA.  Could some of
>you recommend a good _basic_ developer for each film; something that will
>provide reasonable results but be reasonably tolerant of the relearning
>process?   I suspect that it would be best to settle on one or the other,
>but would like to try developing both before I decide.

Press Maxx developer is great with TMax films. Made by Unicolor. B&H sells
it. TMax films are optimized for normal processing with D-76. Very good,
but easily blows out highlights if you're not careful. Ilford's ID-11 plus
is pretty much the equivalent of D-76, but it uses metol, which causes
fewer allergic reactions.

>Last, is a JOBO processor worth it for B&W?  Or will a simple tank do the
>trick just as well?

Don't get me started. I HATE Jobos. But the one I had to work with at work
was a well-worn one. And I despise plastic reels. So I'm probably not the
guy to ask. :-)

But the kind of processing a Jobo does is wonderful. I would think that a
small table color print processing unit (those pedestals with the wheels
that turn a tube) would probably work just as well for a lot less money.
Just less convenient.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.