Subject: Re: [Leica] Tape: Was 10 reasons...
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:13:27 -0400

Georgette Oden wrote:
SNIP

> Question:  is the tape-over-the-red-dot thing an anti-theft measure
> designed to hide the Leica symbol?  or what?
>
> Thanks for the insight...
>
> Georgette

The tape over the red dot is actually a status thing. It is known to
LUGgers, cognescenti and camera afficionados as the only true camouflage
for an M6. Anyone can carry an M6 with a red dot but only the true
believers mentioned above will recognize the symbolic significance of
the tape. I believe, as was discussed ad nauseum a couple months ago,
that you can even get special German-made tape for this purpose. Sorry
LUG for beating this dead horse.

Carl S.

p.s. Georgette, all in good fun. Tape is to make it more discreet on a
black body and/or draw less attention to it for street work. On chrome
body it is pointless anyway. Some feel that the dot is gratuitous and
opportunistic advertising on Leica's part.
- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.