Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo 280/2,8 ?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:30:22 +0100

<<<<<<>Question for those who really use that lens:
>Do you use the filter?
>If you do, do you see any difference in term of results ?
>If you don't, is the front element so sensitive ?
++++++++++++

I've used the lens since it's birth 1984.  It has only had the filter off a
few times for cleaning and I've never used the lens without the filter .

I believe the instructions are "it is recommended to leave the filter
attached as it is considered part of the lens" (glass)  or words to that
effect.

This is a land mark lens and I have used it for everything from macro with
the macro adapter to having the 1.4 X and the 2X extenders attached at the
same time, which I believe theoretically makes it an 800mm f 8.0.  Which I
have hand held using the shoulder stock, pistol grip and micro switch for
the motor drive, but usually work off monopod or tripod.

Quite frankly "there's no lens like it!" :)  Oh please don't come back with
all kinds of reasons that there are better. :)  This isn't an argument!
It's a fact from a long time user who doesn't read bloody books with
statistical numbers. The pictures speak for themselves!:)  Look on page 280
in the Leica book, "75 Years of Leica Photography!"

ted