Subject: [Leica] 180 f2.8 apo/70-180 f2.8 apo
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:57:57 -0400

Lugnuts;

Just got slides ( E200 ) back from a comparison of the 180mm performance
between my 180 f2.8 apo & the 70-180 f2.8 apo;  a shootout between
two optical gems. I do realize that using Velvia/Astia would have been more
optimal; however, E200 was quite sufficient to demonstrate differences.

The 70-180 apo slides were verrry good; however, the results/differences
from the 180 f2.8 apo were visible under a 4X Loupe . Slides from the 180
f2.8 apo yielded
subtle differences in sharpness & contrast; almost an enhanced 3-D effect.

Further testing will be done using Velvia/Astia. However, considering how
good
the Vario 70-180 apo performs; the 180 f2.8 apo is a stellar performer.
Another
gem from the Solm labs under the direction of Lothar Kolsch.

BTW, occasionally, I do take pictures ;-)!

Tom D.