Subject: [Leica] Brassai
From: Disfromage <Disfromage@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:56:57 EDT

Dear LUGers,
	Tom Abrahamsson was in Chicago yesterday and I had the pleasure of meeting
him face to face and spending the day with him. Is there anything he doesn't
know about Leicas? I don't think so. Truly a nice man.
	Part of our day was spent at the Art Institute viewing a Brassai exhibit.
Wow! It was a sobering experience. Many of us on the LUG (myself included) are
drooling over the latest lenses and film, looking for maximum resolution and
sharpness to the Nth degree. Here was a man using uncoated lenses and
relatively crude film making images we would be hard pressed to make today-if
we even could. There were photos taken at night that included people (they
couldn't have been very long exposures), bare light bulbs with visible
filaments and the shadows had detail. Talk about knowing your tools! I don't
know how he did it. By today's standards, these photos were soft and had poor
resolution. But they were incredible nonetheless. Maybe we should concentrate
more on developing our vision as photographers and really learn how to use
what we have, rather than lusting after every new thing that comes along. Is
this sacreligious? I realize many of my fellow LUGnuts are very interested in
equipment, optics, etc. As for myself, I have to do some serious thinking. (
Now how do I justify that 75 summilux?) :-) Boy am I conflicted!
	Richard W