Subject: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses and the noctilux
From: Carsten Bockermann <Carsten_Bockermann@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 03:54:30 -0400

Dominique,

 =

>>The Noctilux is a special lens  developed by ELCAN for military purpose=
=2E
>>focusing mount has been made later for the Leica M. Here is the
explanation
>>of the removing head.
>>I used a borrowed Noctilux and my conclusion is straightforward : I
prefer
>>to shoot (photograph) with my Summicron using Fuji 800.I don't see the#=

>>rationale of the purchasing of a Noctilux but I'm quite ready to change=

my
>>mind when a great photographer (Ralph Gibson for instance)will show me
>>great prints made with that "great" lens.

why would you need Ralph Gibson or some other "great photographer" to sho=
you prints
made with the Noctilux ? IMHO the Noct simply is an
"either-you-like-it-or-you-don=B4t' lens.
I use mine mainly for special look gives to the pictures, which most
probably is the result
of low contrast wide open and some optical aberrations. It seems quite
logical that it doesn=B4t
test as well wide open as a 50 Summicron does, but sometimes picture
aesthetics go beyond
sheer resolution.
I guess this discussion fits in rather well with the 'everything-in-focus=
'
thread started by Alan Hull.
It=B4s all a matter of taste.

Carsten