Subject: Re: [Leica] off-topic: Pls. Interpret German to English
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:55:42 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ferdinand U. LuDo <fld@mozcom.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998 9:01 AM

>Hello Luggers,
>
>I know there are German's on this list and someone who can read and
interpret the German language to English.

>I have a few articles here from the magazine Computer Foto regarding
reviews of a few 35mm slide/negative scanner which I would like to know what
the review is about. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can interpret
the few lines for me.

>Nikon Super Coolscan LS-1000
>
>PRO: Stabiles und kompaktes Gehausedesign bestechende Scharfe, exzellente
Tiefenscharfe und geringes Grundrauschen

PRO:  Firm (or steady) and compact housing design, attractive (charming)
sharpness, excellent depth of field.

>contra: unterkuhlte und etwas kunstliche Farbdarstellung

against:  overly cool and somewhat artificial color rendition

>Urteil: Bestes Gerat des Tests, schlechtes Preis-Leistungs-Verhaltnis

Verdict:  Best tested device, poor price/performance relationship

>What does: Farbdarstellung, Scharfe, Tiefenzeichnung, Rauschen and Gesamt
mean in english?

Farbedarstellung means color rendition or presentation.

Schaerfe (the umlaut over the a means to pronounce it as if there were an
"e" after it) means sharpness.

Tiefenzeichnung means something like the way it draws or shows depth.

Rauschen could mean a noise or murmur or it could mean interference (i.e.
electrical).

Gesamt means total, for example ins Gesamt means in total or as a whole.

>Polaroid Sprintscan 35 SE
>
>PRO: Sehr vielseitiger Twain-Treiber, enorme Scangeschwindigkeit,
ausgezeichnete Tiefenzeichnung und Scharfe

PRO:  Very versatile <something> driver, enormous scanning speed, incredible
depth signature and sharpness.

>Contra: Fehlerhafte Interpolation bei manchen Auflosungen, sehr starkes
Farbrauschen und unbefriedigende Farbdarstellung

Against:  Faulty interpolation at many resolution [ I assume you can vary
the resolution], very strong color interference and unsatisfactory color
rendition.

>Urteil: Fur Vielscanner durch Geschwindigkeit interessant; zu teuer

Verdict:  Because of it's speed, it would be of interest to those who do a
great deal of scanning;  too expensive.

>Polaroid 35 LE
>
>Pro: Gute Farbdarstellung, Scharfe und Tiefenzeichnung

Pro:  Good color rendition, sharpness and depth signature

>Contra: Erhohtes Grundrauschen

Contra:  Exaggerated background noise (could mean 60 Hz or 50 Hz hum)

>Urteil: Fur Diesen Preis ein empfehlenswertes Gerat

Verdict:  At this price a recommended device (scanner)

>Nikon LS20
>
>PRO: stabiles und kompaktes Gehausedesign , ausgezeichnete Scharfe,
Tiefenzeichnung und Grundrauschen

[see above]

>CONtra: arbeitet etwas langsam; unterkuhlte und kunstliche Farben

CONtra:  works somewhat slowly, cool and artificial colors.

>Urteil: Toiles Angebot, zumal Nikon die professionalle Scansoftware
silverfast mitliefert

Verdict:  A nice offering, to the extent that Nikon also delivers
Silverfast, the professional scanning software. [should be tolles, not
toiles]

>Polaroid 35 Plus
>
>Pro: Sehr hohe Scangeschwindigkeit und ausgezeichnete scharfe

Pro:  Very high scanning speed and excellent sharpness

>contra: bis auf das etwas bessere Grundrauschen in allen Testkategorien
schlechter als der
Sprintscan 35

contra:  Except for the somewhat better performance with respect to noise,
worse in all categories than the Sprintscan 35.

>Urteil: Fur diese enttauschenden Leistungen zu teuer

Verdict:  too expensive for this disappointing performance

>I think that's it. Manythanks,
>
>Ferdinand

My pleasure,

Bruce S.