Subject: Re: [Leica] Mike's Ten Books(2)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:37:16 +0200

I repeat my opinion that when a photographer throws the background out of
focus to emphasis the main subject he is guilty of LAZY technique.  A
photographer that cares about the final image will search for diagonals and
lines and light and shade and many other devices to get his message across.
 To simply point the camera and rack the lens is LAZY.

I am not 80 years to late for the f64 club.  Ansel Adams and his group was
80 years too early because the  technical quality of the film then
available forced a very slow shutter speed for the DOF they sought.  It was
not even fast enough to freeze the moving clouds or the wind in the trees
or moving water.  But at least they tried.  The experiment failed for
technical reasons not for aesthetic.

The comment that the eye doesn't work that way so why should pictures, is
correct, however the eye has a brain behind it and signals the eye to
adjust focus until a mental image of the whole scene is gathered.  A good
picture allows the viewer to do the same.  I don't live in a 1/125 sec
world.

Maybe your right, I don't belong in this group.  One thing is certain I
will not risk the personal attack and ridicule again.   So this will be my
last posting to you and with my last "stupeh"  i will bid you goodbye.  It
was good to know you.

Alan Hull