Subject: Re: [Leica] Mike's Ten Books
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:17:50 -0600

>Most people think they can "get" photographs by glancing at them. Everything
>about our society's superficial use and understanding of photographs and
indeed
>all visual media encourages this misconception. However, it isn't true.

This is a very good point.  Most people have become so saturated with
visual information, primarily through television, that they are visually
illiterate.  Spending time with a photograph in a concentrated,
contemplative way, is important.  I find myself trapped into trying to
figure out the technique behind the picture, without paying as much
attention to its message.  "Oh yeah, short telephoto, likely hand-held,
polarized" ... and then I go on the the next picture, without spending
enough time to ask myself what it was that the person behind the camera
saw, and what was the photographer's vision saying in his/her mind's eye
about why the picture had to be taken.

- -GH