Subject: Re: [Leica] OK, lets get small
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:58:57 EDT

<< Am I the only one that has a problem with the Tri-Elmar? It blocks out a
 large portion of the viewfinder. >>

I harly notice it.  Different styles I guess.  In fact, after reading your
post I had to go back and try it to see it maybe it should bother me.
However, it does not.  Certainly it would be better if it would not block any
of the viewfinder.  It is about the same as a 90 2.8, except the 90 frame is
so small that the 90 2.8 does not actually block the 90 bright line area.
However, the hoods on the wide angle lenses also block the frame - about the
same amount as the Tri-Elmar.  It is simply a consequence of rangefinder
design.  The blockage by the Tri-Elmar is no more significant than for other
Leica lenses with hoods.

However, the Tri-Elmar does not feel like any other Leica lens.  Both the
aperture ring (hard and not so smooth) and the focus (rubbery) are not Leica-
like.  This is not necessarily a criticism.  They are not bad, but they are
different.   It is apparent that they worked engineering wonders to make this
lens.  It should not surprise that it is somewhat different.

Of course the real question will be the quality of the images.  I am not yet
prepared to address this.

Tom Shea