Subject: [Leica] OK, lets get small
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:22:21 EDT

HI All,

This recent minimalist topic inspired me to do a number of things technically
Leica related.

The original idea of the Leica was a small, portable, unobtrusive camera. That
the camera was also reliable, well-made, and pruduced fine - if grainy -
images, made the whole concept catch on. The original Leica, as everyone on
this list probably knows, did not even have an interchangable lens, which was
hardly a drawback when the fixed-lens rollfilm or sheet-film camera was the
state of the art.

Due to advances in film and camera technology, our Leicas when properly
handled produce images of higher quality than those produced by the rollfilm
cameras of 1925. Of course, there are people who argue correctly that medium
and large format cameras will always produce a finer-grained image with more
aparent detail, but we enjoy the advantages of the handy size of our cameras
and the unique look Leica glass produces.

It occured to me that today's analogue of the original Leica is the 8 x 11 mm
format Minox camera. Its size is truely remakable. It is unobtrusive, and like
the original Leica is fast to use, seldom recognized as a camera, limited to
one lens of very high quality, and produces fine - if grainy - images. It has
the additional advantage that one can easily carry two or three bodies and a
flash in one's coat pocket, along with several rolls of different film.

Of course, Minox is now owned by Leica. Perhaps Leica recognized this, too?

Before any of us laugh at this line of reasoning, there is one more
consideration. Compared to the consumer grade digital cameras, the TLX or EC
Minoxes actually offer more information per negative than any of them.
Further, when I browsed to the excellent Minox Lab web site
(htttp://www.minoxlab.com), I discovered that they are already offering
scanning services for 8 x 11 film.

So here I am with my ancient Minox C and no accessories. Anyone on this list
want to unload 8 x 11 Minox cameras or accessories? Please let me know, I may
be interested (seriously!). Perhaps this little rant may inspire you to walk
about with a true minimalist camera once again just to see what happens...

Maybe I should submit an article on this to Mike...

Will von Dauster