Subject: Re: [Leica] Jim, Travel kit, etc.
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:17:45 +0200

At 21:21 17.04.1998 -0700, you wrote:
>OK Alf, I'll take only one lens. But I'll borrow the rest from you when I
>get to Germany... OK?

Jim, I'm looking forward to meet you and your beloved in Germany ... it's
already a small group of LUG members, which meets at the Photokina, and,
I bet, that everybody is glad to take you and your family in his/her arms
also.

They are great, those day dreams and excitements, when you select your
travel kit ... imagining already months before, what fantastic pictures
you - for sure - will carry home. You imagine, feel, and dream your most
favorite subjects inside, remember, which single lens did what special great
picture ... and although you do your very best, you're still a little
insecure, whether you left home just that very special part which might
change a certain picture from "very good" to "ultimate" :) You may be even
regret every now and then, that your Linhof is at home.

Jim, I do appreciate your comments, and your subjective views. Don't stop
it. You, as everyone, has the right (and duty!) of free speech - there are
already too much limitation in this world.

It was the generalization of your remark, and specially the part "... but
certainly not for serious photography", on which I jumped.

Let's ask a little different, before some LUG member again comments 'I
couldn't do it with one lens, I need 2, 3, or 4':

If you could rescue only one camera body and one non-zoom lens, and wouldn't
have the chance to change or upgrade for the next 2 years - which body and
which lens would your select? Which is the very special lens/camera
combination, which makes you ticking, thru which runs most of your heart
blood ?

Would you take the R7 and the 2.8/180 APO, or would you take the Linhof?
Would your daughter take her R7 and the 2.8/24, Eric his R8 and the
2.8/19 (or the 100 Macro), Harrison his M4-P and the 2.8/28, Tina her M6
and the 1/50 Noctilux, Marvin an M2 with a rigid chrome 2/50 Summicron,
Marc an M4 and - if it exists - an M mount 1.5/50 Sonnar, Bud his
M3 with the 2/50, Dick an M6 beauty with a 1.4/35 asph, Ted an R8 with a
280, would I ask Tom for a black M2 with a goggled 3.4/21, select my SWC,
or rather beg Marvin for a Canadian IIIg and a rigid screw mount chrome
2/50 Summicron? And, all the other LUG members, what would they select?

Yes, we were limited with only one lens. But, we would still take fantastic
pictures. They would be different, but still fantastic - even if we didn't
take Hamilton's or Sachs' 50 mm (almost) children porn.  And, we were still
serious photographers.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm