Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/90 vs. 50
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:12:52 +0200

I will add my $0.02 to the lens discussion. Although I have lots of gear to
bring if I wanted to, I seldom bring it unless I know it will be an
extensive photo trip. I find that carrying too much equipment restrict my
interest for photography. I am more looking for a cold beer and a chair to
rest my back than looking for picture opportunities.
The thing that works best for me is:
- -For B/W: One M on the shoulder with 35 mm lens, and a 50 mm (or compact 90
mm) in the pocket of my jacket (Always ready, never a burden).
- -For B/W + slides: Two M:s with 21-35-50-90 mm lenses. My back likes that
too.

It all depends on what kind of pictures we want to make, of course. But
weight, quality and compactness are the reasons why I use the M-system. It
is the perfect equipment for travel and when you need to move around a lot
by feet. On extensive photo trips, I always rent a car (or bring my own),
and leave my SLR:s in the trunk, only brought out when needed, and then back
they go! The problem is the constant worries for theft, though, but
expensive gear should be insured.
Hans Pahlen
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/5799/