Subject: Re: [Leica] 135mm M lenses & focusing [was Bokeh and lenses]
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:23:50 -0400

Tom Shea wrote:
>The frame area for 135 is pretty small on a classic M6.  If you want to
use a
>135 mm lens, you might consider using an M6HM.  It is a significant
>improvement.

Good idea!  Thanks for the tip.  Maybe someday when I can afford it as a
second body.  But right now I'm saving for the 2 lenses I just have to
have.  I currently have the 35 Summilux Asph, 75 Summilux (Canada), 90
Elmarit (current).  Oh the 2 lenses I have to have are the 21 Elmarit Asph
and the 135 Tele-Elmar.

About the M6HM, if you just take into account the change in viewfinder from
.72X to .85X, I calculate that focusing a 135mm lens would be the
equivalent of 124.5mm on the standard M6.  Not much of an improvement.  I
think this would only be an increase in effective rangefinder base of from
49.9 to 54.1.  Yet Leica claims an increase in effective rangefinder base
from 49.9 to 59.1.  That would compare to focusing a 114mm lens in the
standard M6.  I really don't know how the rangefinder works.  I guess the
difference is the redesign or my math is wrong. (Quote from brochure, "This
opportunity has also been used to further optimize the general imaging
properties of the viewfinder . . . . ")

Art

Art Searle, W2NRA, w2nra@erols.com, Lake Grove, Long Island, NY, USA
20 miles east of Nikon USA, 70 miles east of Leica USA