Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Some More THOTS
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:02:09 -0400

     Georgette,

     To frame without looking through the viewfinder, you simply use as
     wide as possible a lens---I'd guess 35mm at least, but someone might
     advise 28mm, 24mm, or even 21mm.  And to focus without looking through
     the viewfinder, you set the focus point at the estimated hyperfocal
     distance and stop down as much as possible.

     Of these two methods, I've only ever used the second one myself, and
     so I cannot vouch for the efficacy of the former; but they've both had
     their advocates on the LUG in not too distant months.  And though when
     I've used the estimate-and-stop-down method, it's been in order to be
     prepared to photograph without having to take the time to focus, it
     should also serve pretty well the purpose of overcoming a "poor eye
     for distance."

     Art Peterson