Subject: Re: [Leica] Vertical adjustment
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:14:11 +0200

Neil,

it took a while for your message to get through, and the answer concerning
range finder adjustment is a bit poor:

     > Thank you very much for your reply, all of the others revolved around
     > the registration cards issue! However, as I mentioned in my original
     > post, I'm not keen to send off my camera for adjustment for any
     > considerable period, if it is something I can do myself. Are you
     > certain that vertical adjustment influences horizontal alignment?

     > Is there anyone out there that has done their own vertical adjustment
     > on an M6?  How did you remove the red dot without damage (maybe I can
     > get one free from Solms)?  Does turning the screw clockwise raise or
     > lower the rangefinder patch?  Did you seal the adjustment screw?  What
     > glue did you use to to replace the red dot (it may need to come off
     > again one day!)

1) I pulled the red dot just off. It did not break and it was still sticky
enough to be put on again. Since I had a new one I preferred to change it
anyway.

2) I am NOT shure, that horizontal and vertical alignment interfere. It is
just what I had been told by Leica Solms.

3) I would have TRIED to adjust it, but - although I think I am pretty good in
these mechanical things - I was not quite shure how it should be done.

4) What could I loose? I was in a hurry. Doing it myself with all the care to
be taken if done for the first time would have cost me the day I needed to get
it back in time from Solms. But what else can you loose? You can misalign
it. So you have to send it for adjustment as you would have to do if you did
not try.

5) Did you succeed in the meantime? If so I would be glad to hear from your
experiences.

Good luck (if still are willing to try)

christoph