Subject: Re: [Leica] poy.org - fifth update
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:25:48 -0400

Gene is, indeed, a great photographer. And I believe this is the second
year of the past three that he's won Magazine Photographer of the
Year...And what does he shoot with? An Olympus OM3 because he loves the
Zuiko 20mm f 2 len, and Canon F1s...Gene's about images, not about
equipment. Having hired him for a project a few years back and having
watched him work, I can safely say the thing that makes Gene's photos
great...dare I say "art"?...is his empathy with his subjects, not his
equipment...He spent two weeks at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute with the
assignment to "capture what the Institute's all about..." part of that for
Gene meant giving one day's fee to a family he met in the clinic...He's one
of the most self-efacing, most genuine, decent human beings I've ever had
the pleasure to work with. And it didn't hurt that the photos that came out
of the project were part of a Magazine Photogpraher of the Year portfolio a
few years back, and the publication built around the photos won a silver in
the AD competion...