Subject: Re: [Leica] More G2 / M options / Leica Prices / Rantings
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 11:42:10 -0600

Daniel,
I used to love Lionel trains, and watched that market's prices soar, and
there too, was much talk about greying demographics. I have not done any
research, but it seems to me that for postwar gear (1946-1954) prices rose
sharply into the the mid-80s, and seemed to stagnate from that point, so in
real terms, the prices have actually declined some.

I'm probably on the bottom end of Leica's marketing demographics (in more
ways than one!) and yes, I'm fascinated by digital, but I simply do not
consider it to be in the same class as 35mm yet. I'd love to try Nikon's E2,
but I believe the price still far exceeds even a trio of M6es!! I could
surely use a (now $6K and falling fast) digital scanning back for product
photos, but this is not a standalone device, intended to go out in the
field, except at considerable inconvenience (How's about duct-taping a
flatbed scanner to the back end of an 8x10 view camera, he asked!)

For all of the complaints about it's "classic" design, it remains a simple,
compact device which demands--and rewards--skill, on the part of it's user.

At least in the US of A, now seems to be one of the best times in years to
acquire an M, as good exchange rates, weak sales elsewhere, and competition
from Contax have conspired to drive down prices, and this has (usually) had
a domino effect on the price of used gear as well.

Regarding the M4 vs M6HM: I took my M4 to the local dealer's, and thought
the 35mm framelines were a bit easier to see in the HM. The M4 eyepiece
might be best replaced with the plastic M6 part, the better to protect
eyeglasses. M4's a fine user: You can get one for under $900, though it
won't be minty at this price!

Jeff

PS: I have benefitted from collectors who were unloading gear, but have
found that often, it needed servicing, as the foam had gone crumbly, the
lubes had aged, etc, so price it accordingly.