Subject: [Leica] Press Leicas
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:23:02 -0400

As a onetime member of the Washington Press Corps, I can attest that a lot of
them do use Leicas. A standard part of the uniform is three big Nikons (Canons
are making big inroads now, my friends tell me), and one M6, all draped on the
photographer at once along with the usual accoutrements, Quantum batteries,
flash units, film bags, etc. Basically they will do the shoot with a Nikon and
80-200 (or whatever) and, when bored, take up the M6 and make a few desultory
snaps. I've seen it many times.

It's mainly a pose. Some will tell you the Leica is for "personal work." I
doubt very much you see many published pictures from the Leica out of the Press
guys in Washington.

It would be _very_ rare to see a guy covering an event with _just_ a Leica, or
just several Leicas--even the kind of event where it would be suitable.

- --Mike

P.S. I find the best method of photographing on the street is to take three
pictures, then introduce and explain yourself and ask permission, than take one
more and thank the person profusely for their kindness.

I also have a suggestion. I think Jim B. and George H. should become
contemporary artists. If it's so easy and anybody could do it, and it's
demonstrated that fools pay large sums of money for nothing, why not go for it,
gentlemen? Try your hands! A perfectly legal con; what could be better? As Bugs
Bunny said, If you can't beat 'em...