Subject: Re: [Leica] Explanation high production cost
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:24:09 +0200

>>From what I heard, the company's income results from the lenses and not
>from the bodies. That's the reason, the bodies are "relatively" less
>expensive, and the lens prizes pretty high.
>
>Would you, please, comment the second statement. Is it becasue they break,
>or becuase speed has increased in new developments ?

Economic results will tell another story. In three years from 1993 - 1996
the M bodies sold 9322, 11208 and 10171 bodies, the lenses resp 18009,
19170 and 21186. 	The average body price was 3400DM and for the
lenses 1600DM.

On the topic of generations I was of course referring to the development
cycle, not the longevity of the lenses itself.

Erwin

www.imx.nl
www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html