Subject: Re: [Leica] Good Pitchurs
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:09:22 -0400

Mike:

While I value what you said about seeing, I am troubled you your view of
the uninitiated. This assertion: "generally, 95% of the population wouldn=
't
know a really good photograph if it were an alligator and bit them on the
ass." Demonstrates exactly the pompous attitudes of academics which puts
public funding for the arts in jeopardy. It's nice that you feel qualifie=
to anoint the 5% who have enough taste to know the real thing. But
entertain the thought for a moment that you have so intellectualized
something spiritual that *you* wouldn't know a good photograph if it . . .

Art, (big A) communicates. Dance, song, painting, photography are valuabl=
when the allow emotions or memory to be communicated, stored and
recommunicated. As a neophyte I love Bach's Concerto in A & D for the way
it moves me. Another might identify it's mastery for the technical
achievement, or deconstruct it to find it's place in history, but I am
closer to the music.

You can try all you want to complicated art, and lift up one ideal as
loftier than the other, but history will always have it's say, and histor=
values beauty, not things that need to be explained and defended.=20

Sorry guys, I couldn=92t keep my mouth shut on this one, Let the flames b=
egin.

Tom

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Thomas Kachadurian