Subject: Re: [Leica] Tina's pictures
From: "Jorg - Mindspring" <jorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 05:56:21 -0400

Thank you, Jens-Peter, for setting a good example how to offer constructive
criticism.  I have always liked Tina's pictures for it's strong emotional
contend and I sense what you mean with your observation about using a
certain technique too frequently.  It is like Gustav Mahler using over and
over similar techniques in his symphonies.  I like Tina's pictures and
Gustav Mahler's music for the same reason:   I know what to expect and I
know it gives me pleasure, although I am not able to explain very well why
that is.   That's why they are called 'artists', they know how to touch
something inside of us that couldn't be touched otherwise.  Good for you
that you are able to recognize and explain why you are touched in a certain
way.  That's when an artist becomes a teacher.

I would like to disagree with you that our professional friends shouldn't
pay too much attention to us unprofessional.  Like music most pictures are
taken to be enjoyed by unprofessional.  Therefore I believe that
professionals desire the feedback of their audience.  It gives them (not
always) satisfaction and helps them to reflect on their work with new
perspectives.

Jorg Willems