Subject: Re: [Leica] Eric / Jim / Francesco / Andy Warhol & Arthur Felig
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:34:09 -0500

At 09:01 PM 4/9/98 -0400, you wrote:

>  Eric - Do you draw a distintction between "art photos" like Francesco's,
>  "arte photos"  like Andy Warhol & Man Ray's and " fine arts photos like
>  Jim Brick's ?  Or do you lump them all together and consider your photo-
>  jounalism in the same class as Arthur Felig's?

Did I say ALL art photography? NO!

Art is in the mind of the producer, if you ask me. And everyone is free to
do what they want. But from a photojournalism perspective, I find many art
photographers "snif" at photojournalism, and repeat some of the things that
have recently been said on this list about journalism. When in fact, often
it's those "snooty" types who tend to produce the most vacuous work around.

But no, I would in no way characterize all art photography that way. I'm a
big fan of many art photographers. Let's see. Ansel Adams, Edward Weston,
Paul Stand, Walker Evans, Duane Michaels, Gordon Parks, Joel Meierowitz,
Jerry Usleman, Dorthea Lange (and photojournalist too!), etc. etc. And
there are lots of portraitists, journalists, documentary, who fall into the
"art" category too.

And it seems to me the greater the skill of art photographers, and
photojournalists and the rest as well, the nicer people they seem to be.
Not always, but quite often.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math