Subject: Re: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 09:28:59 -0700

Alan's dissection of Moose Peterson's image and Eric Welch's image
is very accurate.  One can make a photo with a $45 P&S and then make the
same photo with a $10,000 Leica system and still get the SAME image
on a computer screen!  Believe it or not!  How is this possible?
When you scan the slide/neg, you lose information.  No scanner can capture
ALL the data in a slide/neg.  Next, when you load the image into your
graphics software into a standardized file format, you lose information.
Then, every single step you make in correcting the image does more
damage.......cropping, image resizing, sharpening, unsharp masking,
changing contrast or brightness, levels, curves, saturation, etc.  Finally,
to get the file on the web, you use JPG or GIF.  If you choose GIF, the photo
has no chance, since GIF is best for graphics, not photos.  If you choose
JPG, you have the best chance for a perfect image, but no matter which level
of compression you choose, you LOSE DATA again!  If you choose minimum
compression and maximum image quality, the file will always be immense
and unreasonable for people to download (unless they have ISDN or T-1/T-3).
When all is said and done, the image sits on your computer screen and probably
holds less than 40% of the data it used to hold.  Enlarge it even to 150%
and you'll get artifacts, rough edges, inaccurate colors, etc.
All that I just said is true if you are using cheap equipment or you don't
know
what you're doing.  All this can change if you do it the right way......use
a very
high quality scanner or go with PhotoCD.  By doing so, you insure MUCH more
information to start with befroe you begin decimating the file with
corrections.
By the time you are done, you have chipped away a smaller proportion of the
image data and it remains gorgeous!  You can even enlarge it and see fine
details.
To get this level of detail though, the JPG will have to be at least 500
KB, maybe
over 1 MB, which, to the average Internet user, is unaccetable.
Compromise.....that's what digital imaging is all about.  One day photos on
the web
will look as good as transparencies on a light box, with zoom capability up
to 20X.
By then, almost every home in the developed world will be connected to this
global
Internet by superfast fiber optic cables or even receive Internet
information by some
new laser or infrared technique.  By then, digital cameras will be SOOO
good and
reasonably priced, that we will all want one of the new Leica versions and
the M6
and R8 will be simply collectors items.  Not because they don't make good
photos, but
because we will all want ot be on the cutting edge and because the world
around
us will REQUIRE a proficiency in digital technology in order for us to
survive.

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com