Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #297
From: Christian Becker <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:49:37 +0100

Thanks for the numerous comments. Since there were so many I will just
make some general remarks:

1)What qualifies me to criticize Eric?
  Nothing. I even don't have to qualify for it (e.g. by showing my own
  pictures). I simply use my natural right for free speech.
  BTW, to offer the possibility to criticize me - Jun Nakajima was so
  kind to exhibit two of my pics on his website.

2)Why do I criticize Eric's pictures?
  Because HE has the courage to make his work available for viewing and
  discussion (as do I, although to a less extent since I have no own
  website).
  It is not my fault if he or others dislike my thoughts. So, thanks to
  Jorg Willems for saying my thoughts are a 'pitiful exercise of
  self-importance or an example of a misguided "Berliner Schnautze"' and
  for offering his mothers advice that 'if you don't have anything nice
  to say, don't say anything at all'. I exercise my sense of humor.

'He starts contributing when he explains why, how and what could be
improved' (again Jorg Willems - we should be proud to have him on the
LUG).

3)Is it simply 'you like it or not'?
  Definitely no.
  I used the term unimpressive. What distinguishes the impressive from
  the unimpressive is whether there is compassion for the subject or
  not. Means you have to have empathy to be a good photographer. It is
  whether you are able to transmit feelings to the viewer.
  If HCB's pictures are impressive THAT is what makes them, not
  technical quality, which is the least important thing.

4)How could one define picture quality? My simple answer is -
  by comparism. If you compare a lot you finally find out.

Christian