Subject: [Leica] Apo and asph: pros and cons
From: "Mikiro MORI" <mmori-tky@umin.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 18:22:12 +0000

- --MS_Mac_OE_2974990932_257580_MIME_Part

>We have been excited for many months about the aspheric series of lenses
for
>the Leica M and the apochromatic lenses for the Leica R.
>On the one hand, many improvements have been noted compared to the older
>designs. On the other hand, some users have commented on the extreme
>sharpness of the 100mm f2.8 Elmarit R that is a drawback in portraiture and
>the lack of "bokeh"  with the 35mm f1.4 Summilux M. Since most of us are
>interested in upgrading our photographic tools it would be interesting to
>hear from users as well as optics experts about the pros and cons of these
>new designs. I hope this will stimulate some timely discussion.

There was a good comparative review of ASPH and non-ASPH 21, 24 (28), 35/2,
and 35/1.4 in a recent issue of a Japanese photo journal, "ASAHI CAMERA".
The reviewer concluded that all the ASPH lenses are sharper with more
comfortable bo-keh (I am very proud to use this Japanese word here) at full
aperture, while the difference cannot be noticed at f5.6 or more.  He also
commented that the ASPH lenses make a new familiy of Leica lenses with
different finger prints and that the Leica users should feel happy to enjoy
a larger selection of lenses according to the tastes and/or aims in their
photography.  He tells us not to throw the older lenses away if we can
afford to own both.  As far as I am concerned, I can afford to have only an
ASPH version of 35 Summicron.  I enjoy this lens.

Mikiro

- --MS_Mac_OE_2974990932_257580_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>[Leica] Apo and asph: pros and cons</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
&gt;<TT>We have been excited for many months about the aspheric series of l=
enses for<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>the Leica M and the apochromatic lenses for the Leica R.<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>On the one hand, many improvements have been noted compared to=
 the older<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>designs. On the other hand, some users have commented on the e=
xtreme<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>sharpness of the 100mm f2.8 Elmarit R that is a drawback in po=
rtraiture and<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>the lack of &quot;bokeh&quot;  with the 35mm f1.4 Summilux M. =
Since most of us are<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>interested in upgrading our photographic tools it would be int=
eresting to<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>hear from users as well as optics experts about the pros and c=
ons of these<BR>
</TT>&gt;<TT>new designs. I hope this will stimulate some timely discussion=
.</TT><BR>
<BR>
There was a good comparative review of ASPH and non-ASPH 21, 24 (28), 35/2,=
 and 35/1.4 in a recent issue of a Japanese photo journal, &quot;ASAHI CAMER=
A&quot;.  The reviewer concluded that all the ASPH lenses are sharper with m=
ore comfortable bo-keh (I am very proud to use this Japanese word here) at f=
ull aperture, while the difference cannot be noticed at f5.6 or more.  He al=
so commented that the ASPH lenses make a new familiy of Leica lenses with di=
fferent finger prints and that the Leica users should feel happy to enjoy a =
larger selection of lenses according to the tastes and/or aims in their phot=
ography.  He tells us not to throw the older lenses away if we can afford to=
 own both.  As far as I am concerned, I can afford to have only an ASPH vers=
ion of 35 Summicron.  I enjoy this lens.<BR>
<BR>
Mikiro
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_2974990932_257580_MIME_Part--