Subject: [Leica] Leica Mania
From: dvcinc@swbell.net
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:59:29 -0700

Hello fellow Leica users:

I started this year,1998, by receiving via Federal Express an R8 from
Dick Hemingway after he decided to go to the M6 exclusively and sell his
R equipment. I had planned to wait to purchase an R8 until nearer such
time as a motor drive would be available but the opportunity to buy
Dick's camera was too tempting. Last week I purchased a winder which I
also was not going to do, but the price was going to go up. (There is
always some compelling, financially responsible reason to purchase a
piece of Leica equipment) I really like the R8, especially the
viewfinder and the meter. The winder is delightful, so smooth. And, I
have never been a winder fan.

Then, of course, one really needs at least one ROM lens, especially if
you were so fiscally responsible as to purchase a Metz 40MZ3 while they
were offering a free adapter for the R8. So I traded my 28-70 zoom for a
new 35-70 f4 ROM zoom which I got yesterday. Now my short zoom did not
match my long zoom so I traded by 75-200 for a new 80-200 f4 which I
should have by this week end. And, since the rebates are going off and I
always had planned on buying the 100 APO to go with my 180 f3.4 and 280
f2,8, I am also ordering that lens. I just could not pass up the rebate.

I shoot the R's more that an M, so I never owned an M6. Well, the price
is right so I will be getting an M6HM in a week or two. And, they were
selling the old 21's for such an attractive price with finder that I
felt it would be irresponsible to let that get by me, so I bought it
too. I know the new aspherical is probably better, but this will have to
do for now. (I am trying to save money)

At this point I can report that I am happy although considerably less
affluent than I was before this mania set in. Fortunately the stock
market was good in the first quarter. My insurance agent is also happy.
Despite my explaining in painful detail to the wife that this was an
opportunity that wise men simply did not let pass, I cannot report that
she is experiencing the same happiness that my insurance agent and I
have experienced.

After all this I am planning on selling some items. I am posting this to
the LUG first before advertising in Shutterbug. I have the following:

        1.Mint M2, ss, with original Leica seal and books, along with a
50mm f2 collapsible summicron (lens checked by DAG), MC meter and case.
This camera has had minimum use for 10 years as I usually used my M4.

        2. R3Mot with winder and grip. I am the original owner. Used as
a back up to my R5 for the last 10+ years. Body and winder completely
serviced by DAG about 18 months ago. New light seals. Should be
mechanically perfect and cosmetically E+++. Cheap way to get into the R
system or as an extra body. Boxes and books.

        3. Mint large front R3 case.

        4. 400MM Telyt f6.8 with stock, case and 60MM close-up tube.

        5. Metz 45CT4 with Quantum Battery II, charger and MM module. As
new with boxes and books.

If anyone is interested in these items please email me privately for
details, serial numbers, price etc.

Bob