Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering shade
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:47:24 -0400

<I guess I have a question for the pros on the list.  If you are shooting neg
film outside with mixed sun and clouds and you want shadow detail, how do
you use your incident meters?  Do you simply shade the meter dome with your
hand, or put the meter in shade, and take a reading, then shoot away?  Is
the procedure essentially the same as with chrome film except now you're
giving more weight to the shadow exposure, as opposed to the highlight
exposure?>

I use and incident meter with chrome films, and in-camera meters on auto
with color neg films. With a tricky situation (bride with lot's of white
dress in the frame, or in snow) I also use the incident meter with neg
films. I always have the incident meter with me.

For B&W, after lots of testing and testing I've developed a method that
uses a simplified zone system based on incident readings. It's fast and it
works in most situations. The whole zone system is based on developing each
negative differently, which you just can't do with roll film.

Where there is a very wide tonal range there is nothing to replace spot
readings and sheet film for B&W.

Tom