Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:25:35 -0500

At 09:13 PM 4/6/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Sorry, Eric, doesn't work.  If I meter manually or program or whatever
>with reflected light, the exposures are all over the map, though usually

So let the meter go all over the map. The exposure in the camera doesn't
change until you change it. Of course, if all one does it match needles,
diodes, or whatever, they're not doing it right. They have to take a meter
reading, and then in Zone System fashion make an adjustment based on
experience. Like has been said here. Meter off the palm and open up one
stop. If you don't adjust, then don't bother. But it works just fine when
you know what you're doing.

>dark.  Like shooting a snow scene on reflected without compensation.

The key here is "with compensation." With experience, it's easy.

>close.  In my normal photographers paranoia, I do check constantly the
>differences between incident and reflected and always fight with myself

A major labor leader (Lane Kirkland?) in the 50s was followed by a bunch of
photographers (with speed graphics) who were saying "Just one more, please,
just one more." He said, "I bet if you guys pulled back your jackets, I'd
see a belt and suspenders. You photographers are the most insecure people I
know!"

Sure we are, we can't afford to miss. So we bracket and we do all sorts of
things, but nothing beats experience and an understanding of the process of
sensitometry, Zone system or whatever one wants to call it. The metering
technique is less important than having something that works with the
minimum of fuss.

>Truth.  Like most technical things, photography takes a bit of art and a
>bit of craftsmanship and a bit of engineering.  I use camera meter, and
>both the reflected and incident modes of my hand meters, and often even
>polaroid, and still I don't sleep well 'til I see the film (and
>sometimes don't sleep well AFTER I've seen the film) :)

Boy, can I relate to that! :-) I often put the film in the processor as I
enter the building before I put my cameras down on my desk, or take my
jacket and hat off. And I don't let the features staff eat the food until
the film is dry and approved.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We can never be born enough. We are human beings; for whom birth is a
supremely welcome mystery that happens only and whenever we are faithful to
ourselves.

- - e. e. cummings