Subject: [Leica] 180 2.8 APO
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:38:10 -0400

Ted Grant & Eric Welch,

I just got my new 180 f2.8 APO today. Outstanding build quality; balance
with a
R8/winder is incredible. Very smooooth internal focusing.  Close focusing
distance just under 1.5 meters. The built in hood sure looks like there
will be minimal flare.

The brochure indicates that four of the seven elements are high-refraction
glass; it also states " image performance is so high already at full
aperture, it can barely be increased by stopping down".  Whoa; love to see
the MTF diagrams!

It sure looks like I can hand hold this combo all day long. I'm getting
real close to having my optimal set of fixed focal length lenses.

BTW, in talking with Leica USA today, the reason that Solms stopped making
the
R-90 f2 was that they could not squeeze the ROM into the lens; hmmm, does
that make sense? Oh well, I wish Solms would announce the R-90 f2 APO;
leaving an
an obvious gap in their product line makes no sense.

Tom D.