Subject: Re: [Leica] Incidence Light Measurements
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:11:40 -0800

Martin V. Howard wrote:

> Joseph Codispoti wrote:
> >
> > Incident meters are not panacea for all types of photos.  In portraiture
> > one has to consider that adjustments must be made for skin lighter or
> > darker than 18% gray if the face is predominant in the photo.
>
> At the risk of starting a heated debate on the subject, isn't the statement
> above a bit of a nonsense statement?

SNIP.

> It makes sense to expose according to the amount of light falling upon a
> subject/scene, rather than the reflective properties of the subject/scene.
> That way, dark subjects are reproduced as such, and light subjects are
> reproduced as such.  Provided that the film can hold the tonal range in
> the scene, from shadow details to highlights, the exposure will be correct.

In this case, no, at least in my experience.  When I do group portrait
with strobes I try to put the darker skinned personal closer and the
lighter skinned farther away from the main light.  It partly has to do
with the latitude of the film.  If I do as mentioned, the final image
looks "normal.:"  Of course this isn't possible with natural light.  It
is really a problem for the sports shooters using chrome and doing dark
skinned football players (the American kind) in shadow-producing helmets
and white uniforms.

donal

- --
Donal Philby