Subject: Re: [Leica] The Leica CD-ROM
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 16:24:52 +0200

On 06-04-1998 21:14 Dan Cardish wrote:

>Has anyone in the LUG obtained the Leica CD-ROM?  I just received an ad for
>it from Kindermann along with my 3/98 Leica Fotographie, and wonder if it
>is worth the $125 Canadian being asked for it.
>
>Dan C.

Do you mean the Leica Legend CD-ROM as advertised on the Leica webpages
(made by Verlag Laterna)?
It is sold for 148 DEM (15 % VAT included), which is a rather high price,
but not uncommon in the digital world. It is compatible for both Mac and
Windows (note of care: on my Mac I had to switch off RAM Doubler for it
not to freeze my system).
Is it worth the money? No. Is it fun to have? Yes. That would be the
short reply to your question.

You have:
- - history of Leica with collection of sound clips, camera pictures, ads,
even the "Leica song" from the thirties. If you want to hear how Leitz
III decided to produce the first Leica, you'll have to buy this disc;
- - guided tour in the Leica museum and the Leica factory at Solms (but
don't expect to see very much);
- - Leica family tree (updated to include the R8)
- - Leica stories (tales to prove how special Leica material is)
- - Overview of all SLR, rangefinder, screwmount cameras and lenses. But
some of the picture are horrible to see and definitely not Leica quality.
For example I was quite shocked to see the black R8 picture. Overexposed,
and taken with a frontal flashlight (with ugly reflections as a
consequence).

Pascal

BTW There is another CD-ROM on the R8s functions and capabilities (made
by Leica) that is distributed for 20 DEM (or sometimes for free if you
know your dealer well enough...).

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r