Subject: Re: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Bruce Feist <bfeist@flock.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 08:14:30 -0400

Hi, Alan, Eric, and other Leicaphiles;

I'm not so sure that this is truly something new.  Every medium introduces new
limitations onto the final photograph.  Most photos are never enlarged above 4x6"; at
such sizes, a P&S camera or one of the newer digitals will do fine too.  If we wanted
to avoid such limitations, the only approach that I can think of is to shoot on
large-format slide film, at the size of the desired print!  (As far as I can tell,
this leaves the lens's abilities intact, except for film resolution, processing
damage, and developing chemistry <g>).  If the Web is the only desired target, a
Leica is completely unnecessary (although some of the photos do seem to have a glow
about them that's lacking in shots from lesser equipment).

However: a photographer likely to use a Leica is also likely to care deeply about the
photograph, and to have a degree of aesthetic awareness and technical proficiency
less likely to be found in the user of a $80 P&S.  The lesser optics of the latter
system will not damage a photo on the Web, but poor composition, exposure, or
focusing, or movement of the camera during the photo, will.

Maybe the glow is not from the camera, but rather from the photographer using the
camera.

Bruce