Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 23:22:25 -0400

I'm with Harrison on the incident meter issue also.  Not only does it tell
me more about the light, it's easier to calibrate processing and exposure
to one meter than three or four in-camera meters. With chromes and
black-and-white, that makes a difference.

More than a little off the point, but this  reminds me of an experience
last month with my battered but trusty Minolta Autometer IV. I spent half a
day shooting, er, photographing, an outdoor spring sports event on
artificial turf in a really driving rain, with the meter stashed in the
pocket of my Goretex jacket. Water pooled up in there and at some point the
meter went dead. When I got home I dried it out and put a new battery in.
It powered up but wouldn't produce a light reading. I disassembled it,
scraped the contacts and let it air dry, then put it back together. Still
nothing. I took it apart again and left it open, putting it back together
every day or so to see if it would work. Nothing, until the fifth day when
as if by magic it came to life. Works fine now. Go figure.

Bill Welch