Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Handgrip - removing base plate
From: Dave Richards <rchdp@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 17:37:49 -0600

1.  To provide a more secure, more ergonomic grip.
2.  To offer some protection to the baseplate, although it could have been
extended a bit without interfering with the release mechanism.
3.  To bring the tripod closer to the center of mass, reducing shake and
presenting a more balanced arrangement.

There may be others.

Dave