Subject: Re: [Leica] (OFF TOPIC) Minolta bokeh?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 15:12:27 -0400

At 06:12 PM 06-04-98, you wrote:
>I wonder if any of the LUG members are using Minolta AF slr equipment. If
>anyone is and would encourage me to do likewise on account of the "look" of
>the lenses, I would be very interested to hear about it, by email if that
>is felt to be more appropriate. I've read the bokeh articles (thanks Adi)
>and I don't think I can be a Nikon user much longer.
>
>Joe Berenbaum

In addition to my Leica stuff, I also have an extensive Minolta AF system
along with an old Nikon F2 with a few Nikkor lenses.  I paid $179 for my
Minolta 50/1.4 AF lens, and it has to be one of the best bargains around
(apart from the 50/1.7s, which I hear can be bought used for about $35!).
Images taken with it compare very well with my 50 Summilux-M.  The one test
I did to try to compare 'Bokeh' (which admittedly (sp?) was inconclusive)
showed no differences between the two, while both could be distinguished
from my DR Summicron.  The shots taken with the nikkor were terrible (I
hope it was a focussing error on my part!). The only weakness in the
Minolta lens is its propensity to flare.  I never use a lens hood with it,
so (possibly) I have partly myself to blame.  In normal shooting situation,
it is a fine lens.  I also have the 200/2.8 APO lens, and I wouldn't
hesitate to compare this with the best from Nikon or Leica.  Same with the
100/2.8 macro.  Both first rate lenses at all apertures.   Perhaps they
aren't as good as Leica's, but close enough as far as I am concerned.

This summer I will try to repeat my bokeh tests under more controlled
circumstances.  I will probably have to limit it to my 50s, since I don't
have much overlap in focal lengths with my other lenses.

Dan C.