Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:41:04 +0200

>Hell if Nikon and Canon put their R&D into the same quality of glass as
>Leica, they'd be at the same sales percentage increase Leica is after
>coming out with the R8.  Sales records higher than the other two
>manufacturers.

This is not true. Leica produces about 12000 - 15000 units a year, against
60.000 for the Nikon F5 and the same amount for the EOS1. You are also
implying that it the R&D into glass that generates the sales increase of
the R8. The R system including lenses now holds about 25% of the total
turnover against 18% when the R7 was the topmodel. The introduction of new
lenses for the R has been in parallel with the introduction of the R8. So
it is difficult to ascertain from the figures which one caused the turnover
growth. I agree that the R8 is a great camera, as are many of the R-lenses.
I would not dare to state that Canon and Nikon have their research
priorities wrong or that there sales are not increasing since the F4 or the
F1new. I can only observe that Leica sets different priorities and
standards for a different group of users, for which I am glad and thankfull
to Leica.
I would really prefer that we stop comparing and bashing great companies as
Nikon and Canon for having different products than the ones Leica is
offering.
To be bold: if Canon would withdraw from the photographic market, the
photography we know and love, would cease to exist. Let us be happy that we
are able to make intelligent choices about equipment and accept everyone in
its own right and reputation.
Erwin