Subject: Re: [Leica] Fast mechanical shutters
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:01:04 -0400

Mike Johnston wrote:

(snip)

>  One major advantage
> of the traditional M shutter is that it is so overbuilt and
> understressed that
> samples routinely last for half a million cycles or even more--that's
> *ten
> times* the durability of the faster shutters.

tests are one thing, real world is another.

The Achilles heel of the M shutter is the effects of aging.  The main
problems are:

#1 The slow speeds getting too slow and needing a CLA (Clean, Lubricate,
Adjust)

# 2 The high speeds getting too slow and needing a CLA

                (I've encountered both of these problems with all M
cameras including the M6.   I hardly ever have to do a CLA on a Nikon F
or F2.   It's something I expect with M's if they are more than 15 years
old)

#3 The curtain itself destructing on the earlier M3/M2 era cameras by
either cracks in the shutter or the vertical metal edge detaching from
the cloth.  (I have an M in the shop now with this problem).   I would
love to see the M's go with the Titanium shutter curtains used in the
Nikon F's since 1959.   I have never had to replace one of them.

Whether these problems are the results of old lubricants jamming up, the
design itself, or quality control of the curtain materials, it really
doesn't matter when discussing reliability.  You still end up with a
camera which needs repairs.

Some might say "well of course, after 20 years all shutters will need
service."

Nope.   Nikon F & F2  mechanical shutters have  proven  much more
reliable in service than the M shutter.   They simply don't need as much
maintenance as often.    It isn't that the M's are fragile or trouble
prone, it's just that they need  more regular maintenance.

While the M shutter will certainly work great and dependably when things
are right with it,  the sad truth is that it will require more
maintenance, more down time, and more dollars  to stay right.

Stephen Gandy