Subject: [Leica] Re: switch from Nikon to Leica?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 15:02:25 +0200

On 03-04-1998 21:41 Yods1 wrote:

>	I love the M's and feel that they're my kind of camera, but I'm sure I'll be
>missing moments while I'm re-framing after focusing in some situations
>such as
>above. So I'm thinking R's for practical purposes.
>	I'm wondering if the R glass is comparable to the M glass, and whether it's
>so much better than Nikon that it would be worth the switch (be honest!
>:-) ).

1. There is no practical difference between R and M glass (I am using
both). It is true, however, that the current state-of-the-art ASPH lenses
give the M series the edge in wideangle image quality (21 ASPH, 24 ASPH,
35 ASPH). On the other hand, the R series also has some jewels (like the
60 macro, the 100 APO macro and APO teles).
2. As for the difference between Nikon and Leica. As a former Nikon FM
user who made the switch a year ago, I can tell you that -for most
lenses- you will in practical terms only see a difference in low light
conditions at wider apertures with the newer Leica lenses. So if your
work involves a lot of shooting in these conditions, you will appreciate
the difference in image quality (especially the ASPHs for the M).
The Leica long glass (APO) is also in a class of its own, so I hear.
In theoretic terms, most lens tests will show you that many Leica lenses
are the world's best 35mm optics, but this generally comes at a price.
The price difference for "normal" focal lengths is easily three to four
times as much as Nikon. E.g. the Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 is the best 28mm
lens around, but it costs almost five times as much as the AF-Nikkor 28mm
f/2.8 D, although the difference between both lenses is only visible at
the two widest apertures where the Leica has an advantage.
Is it worth the financial effort? Don't know honestly. That's a question
you will have to answer for yourself. Don't let yourself be blinded by
"mythical" talk (told by some folks with almost mysty eyes) about Leica's
history. It's the present that counts. If you cannot see the difference,
you're wasting your money.
My experience showed that I was not very much overwhelmed after I made
the switch from Nikon to Leica M, I couldn't get used to the rangefinder
concept and didn't find that much quality difference. Later I also got
the R8 with R lenses, and I am now very comfortable with both Leica
systems. It took me a while, but now I am beginning to appreciate the
finer things of life :-)

Hope this helps,

Pascal
Belgium

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r