Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 mm viewfinder - crazy !
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:11:02 -0800

After the recent lambasting of the plastic 21mm viewfinder, I'd like to add
my experiences. I bought my first 21mm Leica lens in the 60's, and bought
my present 21SA in 1974, along with a Hologon. Later I added a 21/2.8 and
last October got the 21asph. 21's are important to me.

Over the years I've had about a dozen 21. Eventually they got knocked off
the camera (highest probability) or got banged. In either case, some
elements cracked and I had to get a new one. I've tied them to the camera
with 'cap-keeper' attachments, but they still got damaged. One got cracked
after it got knocked out of the hot shoe, and swung into something hard. At
the moment I still have 4 semi-useful metal 21 finders, which I use in a
variety of ways.

I have always been _very_ careful with the Hologon finder, as I knew I
would never be able to get a replacement. When the Contax 16mm came out, I
immediately purchased a 16 finder ($369 Cdn) and now use that, although it
shows only about 80 percent of the image. It is nicely finished, and I
ground off the front corner of the shoe so it would slide in a bit further,
and bent it a bit so it would seat more solidly. I still tether it, in
spite of the inconvenience, as it is knocked off easily. I also tried the
21 Contax finder, but don't care for it. It has the same poor fitting shoe
as the 16, and sticks up a lot further than the Leica finder, making it
very likely to get knocked off. I also like the view through the Leica
finders better. BTW, the finder by itself costs around $250Cdn.

I've now had the plastic finder for quite a few years. It has lasted longer
than any other finder, including the tethered ones. Optically it is as good
as the metal ones, and that means better than most. Most importantly, it
doesn't come off. I can leave it on the camera with confidence, knowing it
will still be there when needed. Additionally, the plastic housing takes
bumps much better than plastic. The metal one may look better, but the
plastic one is the one that works better!

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com