Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 20:32:55 -0500

At 12:52 PM 4/2/98 -0700, you wrote:

>	The M6 is a wonderfully elegant tool. Free of redundant systems, the
>simplicity of the camera is a welcome relief. The viewfinder is bright, the
>meter performs flawlessly and the body is small and unobtrusive (no matter
what
>they say about the "red dot"). I still have trouble loading the film, though.
>William Garnett once told me he chose the Pentax over the Leica because it
was
>too hard to steer the airplane with his knees and load the Leica!
>-Gary S. Colby
>colbyg@ulv.edu

Gary -

Tom Donovan gave me a priceless tip at the Leica workshop last year.  He
showed me how to pleat the end of the film by folding it back and forth a
couple of times.  The fold slips down between the spines of the take-up
spool and is less likely to slip out.  Be sure the sprockets are caught,
close the camera and wind slowly the first time or two.  I used to get
totally frustrated because everytime I was in a hurry to load film, it
failed to catch.  Since Tom showed me the pleating trick, it hasn't
happened a single time.  Good luck!  Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>