Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 12:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Timothy,

	I recently went to the Ms after many years squinting through the
SLR's...I can finally see again.

> I'm hoping to get started with Leica Ms after years with SLRs  (Canon and
> Nikon)...

> 1. Should I start with somewhat older used (and affordable) stuff such as
> an M4P and older 50 f 2,0 lens or go for the M6...

	The M6 is a wonderfully elegant tool. Free of redundant systems, the
simplicity of the camera is a welcome relief. The viewfinder is bright, the
meter performs flawlessly and the body is small and unobtrusive (no matter what
they say about the "red dot"). I still have trouble loading the film, though.
William Garnett once told me he chose the Pentax over the Leica because it was
too hard to steer the airplane with his knees and load the Leica!

> 2. If I buy used, what are good sources, mail order etc.? (I buy
> exclusively used Nikon...

	I have purchased equipment, all of it new, from Don Chatterton and Jim
Kuehl. Both are remarkably honest and straightforward businessmen, very savvy
about Leica and very helpful (especially Don) with advice. (No tax.) Don has a
great website. Both can be found in Shutterbug.

> 3. If M6, should I buy new (3 yr warranty), demo (1 yr warranty) or used:
> all generally withing a few hundred dollars of eachother.

	Get a new one. I didn't get the extended warranty and saved several
hundred dollars.

- -Gary S. Colby
colbyg@ulv.edu