Subject: Re: [Leica] 90/4 Question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:25:21 -0500

At 08:52 AM 4/1/98 -0800, Mark Newport wrote:
>I am thinking of getting a 90/4 Elmar screwmount as a budget tele.  Are
>there pros and cons like black vs. chrome or some years better than others
>with this lens?  I seem to remember posts about people still using these
>older lenses w/ adapters but don't recall the specifics.  I just can't
>spend 500.00+ for a lens that I will use very infrequently. I never really
>liked my skinny (mid 80's) 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit I had years ago but if I can
>get close to its performance for around 250.00 I might go for that. BTW,
>are hoods still available for these lenses? If you have/use one of these
>screwmount 90/4 Elmars, please let me know how you like it.

I happen to like the "skinny" Tele-Elmarit very much,  but also have a
couple of 4/90 Elmars and find them quite satisfactory as a moderate
long-focus lens.  (PLEASE NOTE:  THE 4/90 IS NOT A TELEPHOTO, BUT A
LONG-FOCUS LENS.  IT IS 90mm IN LENGTH.)  If you pick up a later one, it
will be coated, and the last decade or so of production had E39 filter
fitments -- these lenses use the 12575 hood which is still very much in
production and is widely available used (though dealers often charge MORE
for the used one than Leica charges for a new one!).

You sometimes see good user lenses for as low as $75, but $150 is now
becoming the norm.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!