Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux-R ?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:09:39 -0600

At 01:28 PM 3/31/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I was wondering. Why is not possible to make
>a f1.0 lens for the R camera, or is it? Has it anything
>to do with the greater distance between the back of the
>lens and the shutter? Or would it just be to expensive.
>Probably a combination of both.

Focusing would be inaccurate. You need a rangefinder to focus a 50mm 1.0
lens good enough to be reliable. I suppose they could make a custom screen
for the R8 that is optimized for f/1.0. A split image rangefinder
(simulated, I know) or microprism, but then focusing would be less accurate
at smaller apertures unless one changed the screen. Not an elegant
solution. And the lens would be massive!

I know it can be done, Canon's done it for over 10 years. It's a matter of
why Leica thinks they shouldn't.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Microwave: Signal from a friendly micro...