Subject: Re: [Leica] In Defense Of the Soviet/Post-Soviet Optical Industry
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:02:59 -0500

 Their native optical industry is of the first

>water, though 'Soviet' economics tended to render the results of most

>erratic quality.

...Marc - But wouldn't that be the point, really? They may have had some very smart optical designers, but if the assembly plants were manned by workers who couldn't give a red rat's ass about the quality of the product...Well...and, as to the high quality of the industry, or the design...we used to hear that the Russian health care system was fabulous, and then we learned that it was a sham...and we heard that their missle program was amazing, and then we learned that what was amazing was how crude it was...and  so on and so on...I'm not some kind of anti-commie nut, it's just that I would suggest that, because of the anti-red mania, we were taught to believe a great deal of propaganda about Ivan's mythical abilities because that would make him all the more dangerous and therefore justify our defense build-up and general anti-Soviet paranoia...

Or am I way off base?