Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 mm viewfinder - crazy !
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:57:08 EST

<< As did mine.  I bought my 21/2.8 ASPH in person at Tamarkin New York and I
had the
 opportunity to look through a number of older metal finders as well as the
newer
 plastic finders.  The plastic finders, while having an ill-conceived design,
are
 much brighter to look through.  Looking over the plastic Leica 21 finder, I
knew
 exactly how I would fix it if it broke.  I therefore purchased a used one for
 $185.  When I got home from NY, same day as buying the lens and finder, and
only
 the second time I put the finder on the camera (and gently, too) the foot
broke
 right off.  It was easy to repair myself and has been fine ever since.  First
 carefully glued the foot back exactly in place with a cyanoacrylate
 cement, sometimes known as "Crazy Glue", or "Zap-a-Gap".  After this set, I
mixed
 a two part epoxy cement, available at any hardware store, and using a
toothpick as
 an applicator, I created a small fillet of epoxy everywhere the foot met the
base
 and where the hardened epoxy would not interfere with sliding the finder onto
the
 camera.  This did not interfere with the little lock mechanism although mine
fits
 so snugly that the lock is superflous.  In fact, I used a jewelers file to
remove
 a bit of material to make it just a bit easier to slide in.
 I know this is long, but although the finder should be made differently by
Leica
 it is easy fix yourself better than new.
 Mike Gardner

I have the same plastic viewfinder.  Leica would never have put their name on
this ten years ago.  Why are they doing it today?   Fortunately I haven't had
a problem.....yet!
I have a feeling that it has something to do with profit, shareholders and
compromises.  I for one do not want Leica compromises and I have a feeling
that this is a vision into the future......I hope not.

Bob Bedwell