Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #269
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:48:56 -0600

At 10:34 PM 3/29/98 -0500, you wrote:

>When you give a trans to a client you can't be there to crop it, so you
>must assure that they can't leave something in that you want out. I never
>understood the real need for a 100% veiwfinder until I started shooting for
>40 differnt clients with all levels of sophistication.

That makes sense. I've always believed "If you don't want it in the paper,
don't shoot it." Maybe a good solution would be a viewfinder etched to show
slide mount proportions? On the other hand, as digital imaging becomes
ubiquitous, maybe we'll all crop our pictures and submit them to magazines,
stock agencies as digital files. That would take care of that problem. But
in fact, some scanners (Nikon SuperCoolScan, Polaroid) come with film
holders that don't give you 100 per cent of the frame in scanning. The one
I use now gives me about 2mm outside the frame. So now I can scan full
frame and have the black border! Just like Cartier-Bresson. ;-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

One should never generalize.