Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Meter Area
From: Jeff Alford <alford@batnet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:49:42 -0800

- --------------063056AFEF48B178A9ECB228

Tom,

I agree with Jim. Infinity or close focus limit should be the same since the
meter reads off a white circle on the shutter curtain. This circle is 12 mm in
diameter, thus 13% of the total area. As for the 2/3's issue, refer to page 63
of Leica M6 by Andrew Matheson. Matheson states "that's more than 13%, as the
finder frames take in less than the image actually recorded on the film." So I
guess we get 23% of the finder frames, 13% of the film area.

Jeff Alford

TEAShea wrote:

> << My understanding is that the meter sensitivity circle is 2/3 of the short
>  dimension of the frame lines. If I use my geometry (it's a little rusty!) I
> come
>  up with 23%.
>
>  Jeff Alford
>

> Jeff, this is what I have always heard.  However, in the M6 edition of Leica
> Fotografie, it says that the diameter of the area metered changes to only 1/2
> of the short side of the frame when the lens is at its closest focusing
> distance.
>
> Tom Shea

- --------------063056AFEF48B178A9ECB228

<HTML>
Tom,

<P>I agree with Jim. Infinity or close focus limit should be the same since
the meter reads off a white circle on the shutter curtain. This circle
is 12 mm in diameter, thus 13% of the total area. As for the 2/3's issue,
refer to page 63 of <I>Leica M6</I> by Andrew Matheson. Matheson states
"that's more than 13%, as the finder frames take in less than the image
actually recorded on the film." So I guess we get 23% of the finder frames,
13% of the film area.

<P>Jeff Alford

<P>TEAShea wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&lt;&lt; My understanding is that the meter sensitivity
circle is 2/3 of the short
<BR>&nbsp;dimension of the frame lines. If I use my geometry (it's a little
rusty!) I
<BR>come
<BR>&nbsp;up with 23%.

<P>&nbsp;Jeff Alford
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Jeff, this is what I have always heard.&nbsp; However, in the M6 edition
of Leica
<BR>Fotografie, it says that the diameter of the area metered changes to
only 1/2
<BR>of the short side of the frame when the lens is at its closest focusing
<BR>distance.

<P>Tom Shea</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------063056AFEF48B178A9ECB228--